All Award Updates Promise The Same Tired Hyped Up Bullsh*t
26th June, 2012
I hope all is well.
I am sensing murmurs out there, and as a valued supporter of AGDA, here is a brief run down of the upcoming Call of Entries and Awards/Party in Melbourne.
In 2011, a dedicated volunteer and modest team was formed in Melbourne to lay the foundations of the Australian Design Biennale and address the enormous task of the AGDA Awards programme. In consultation with AGDA National Council, we – Dom H, Dom, B, Dom F, Ryan, Amanda, Pete, Simon, Che, Rita, Anthony, Lianna, Jim, and I, are rethinking, consulting and creating an awards programme and event, which lives up to your feedback and is purposed for the next decade, or two.
Unlike many 'industry' awards programmes, the AGDA Awards is not commercially driven and draws upon a lively creative sector, on the edge of the world. We make no apologies that our event could be bigger and better, however there are opportunities to improve, inspire and create a worthy programme.
There are a couple of big deadlines approaching for our event. Entering the Awards by July and coming to the party in November.
Following are aspects of the 2012 Biennale, which herald new directions and exciting opportunities for the coming 2012 event and future Biennales.
The 2012 AGDA Awards – entries close July 2012
- All of the award categories have been researched, reexamined and repurposed from 18 cobbled categories to 10 relevant and refined categories – led by Dom Hofstede - Hofstede Design.
- In 2012 there are four recognition awards – an AGDA Award, an AGDA Pinnacle Award, An AGDA Innovation Award, and AGDA Judge’s Choice Award – meaning no more Finalists and Distinctions.
- The AGDA Innovation Award is a new cross category award, determined by the Judges at judging.
- All work entered in the 2012 ADB Awards will be showcased, published and share-able online in September 2012 led by Che Douglas - Beyond the Pixels.
- All winning work of the 2012 ADB Awards will be showcased, published and share-able online 9pm, 24 November 2012 again led by Che.
- A design publication is being planned by Dom Hofstede to review the body of awarded work, due for release 12 to 18 months after 2012 ABD.
The ADB awards celebration – 24.11.2012
- The party is hosted in Melbourne and everyone attending are our special guests.
- We are taking a completely different take of the awards/dinner/gig idea with the assistance of Ghita Loebenstein – Speakeasy Cinema, Artist/ Designer Keith Deverell – Greyspace, Ryan Guppy – 21-19, Dom Bartolo – 21-19 and Chris Doyle – Interbrand
- The weekend will be launched with an AGDA Pinnacle exhibition 1992 – 2012 at Platform Gallery running late September to November 2012, conceived and led by Dom Forde - Famous VS
- The Awards and Party is about celebrating work, meeting friends and experiencing the Melbourne we love. Everyone in the studio can party – we are releasing full tix and half tix, so that all the studio can come along.
- You will not be attending a sit down dinner. The official part – hosted by Chris Doyle, the awards and ceremony has been skinned down to a mere 60 mins. Cocktails, food, drinks, official stuff, catch up, entertainment, after party and surprises, will be served up in one venue over six hours
- There will be side events leading up to November check our space on facebook or australiandesignbiennale.com for details.
That’s it for now. In the meantime, spread the word, go well, see you soon.
Any help, questions or ideas are most welcome, in between all my best,